Thursday, September 22, 2005

Bicycling

What is it about riding my bicycle that just brings out the kid in me? Is it the sense of freedom, the wind in my face, the air whistling around my ears. Or is it the ability to get some where under my own power. I think it the increase in endorphines and the blood flowing through my body; the oxygen working my muscles that become more efficient the more I ride.

It's the riders high; like a runners high, I can't wait to get back on the bicycle and do it again. My body slightly aches with appreciation; bring it on, it hollers, I can handle more; and more I'll give it.

Each hill is a challenge and a chance to further increase muscle potential. No motion goes unnoticed! My sense of balance improves, my strength, my mental alertness, and my mental attitude.

Riding in traffic on my road bike is indeed a challenge. Besides, keeping an eye on what is coming up from the rear in my helmet mirror, I must stay on the shoulder, watch out for holes, uneven pavement, big cracks, big rocks, glass, branches, loose and deep chat, opening car doors and metal grates.

Ocassionally, at an intersection, I need to get into the center lane in order to go forward and not block the right turn lane. I can sense the motorist's aggravation and tenseness behind me.

If you have never ridden a bicycle in traffic then you do not know what I am up against, and that is part of the appeal to the challenge. One of the challenges besides blowing horns and dirty looks is keeping dirt and dust out of your eyes, when a big trucks exhaust pipe sprews out exhaust and stirs up the dusk and dirt in the street, right up into my face.

I think that unless you are a walker, runner, or bicyclist you have no empathy or sympathy for someone who is out there. You have to experience it yourself I guess before you can understand how hard that hill is to pump up.

I can only hope that I help motivate people into getting about under their own strength rather than relying vehicles all the time. Look at all the gas you would save and the good health you would gain.

Keeping all this in mind. I am ready to go again tomorrow. Now, watch out for me! Remember I respect you, please do the same for me. Don't forget I'm slow going up hills and I will be looking for grates and other obstacles that are in my way, plus motorist making turns. So, please be patience.

See you out there!

No comments: