Monday, December 22, 2008

How strange is that...

I didn't know what it was.. the noise that I was hearing at 4:00 AM.. It woke me up. I soon realized that the noise ended when the furnace fan shut off. Now what? The furnace is only two years old! Oh no - furnace trouble.. and it's eight degrees outside... the coldest night so far this winter season. What would I do?

Was it the cold air causing the problems? It seemed to be to sound like a loose belt..something floppy, wobbly. What could I do?

I had extra filters nearby so removed the old dirty filter and replaced it with a nice clean one. When the furnace ran again the noise was slight but there but with each running of the fan and motor the noise ceased..until it was gone. Yes!

Yes! It's evening now and I haven't experienced any problems..I am so happy! I am assuming that the filter was dirty enough to make air difficult to pass and so the filter fluttered..perhaps. I could have reinstalled the old dirty filter to try to reproduce the sound...but why? Let's let well enough alone...it's eight degrees outside!

Whatever! I'm so glad I could take care of it. I'm so glad I tried all I could do before call "the man". "What would the man do"? Besides charge me $75.00. The last time he was here over a year ago.. he merely say "Want me to put this in?" My own filter.. he didn't even bring one with him. How rude?

My furnace is situated in a small closet with the hot water heater positioned below it...there are ventilation slats in the door for for air intake.. it's the only intake there is. I noticed after I had the furnace installed that if the door was slightly open the fan drew it shut.. so I've put something in between door and frame to hold the door open so it draws much easier. Well, the new furnace is much more efficient then the old and is probably more designed to stand alone in a big open area. Well, not here, so I usually make sure the door propped about ten inches open.

Tomorrow a slight raise in temperature is expected....yippee!

No comments: