Thursday, November 01, 2007

Damn -

my cholesterol level is high..so I need to follow a low fat diet and continue regular exercise. I should increase my intake of fish and consider omega 3 fatty acid supplement or niacin.

So, I took a niacin tablet this evening and my skin felt creepy and then I turned a sunburn red all over. Icky! After about twenty minutes it went away and I'm back to normal. I remembered then hearing that niacin will do that to you.

My cholesterol total is 256 (goal <200,>45, >50). My Triglyceride is 147 (goal <150)..that's>

I've had this problem before when I eat whatever I want...too much sugar. If I keep my weight around 124 or 125..then I'm fine. Same old song! I weight about 129 now...so I need to knock off a few pounds. Even when I was in my 30's and younger, I always had to be concerned with what I ate. It just seems my eating habits are just a bit off. The piece of paper she sent me with suggestions of diet..says nothing about "no sweets". And it suggests I use margarine (yes, margarine - that artificial crap!) instead of real butter. So, this paper is old cheese! Honey, I'm going natural...and there's an idea...use honey instead of sugar. But, anyway, I will be applying good old, age old, common sense. Oh, and the paper suggests that I use skim milk. When I was on the high protein diet I used half and half and my levels were fine. See, with a high protein diet...you're fine...just make sure you eat lean protein and get enough broccoli and other low carbohydrate vegetables. Hearing how much exercise I did, the doctor, thought I ate nothing but fruits and vegetables anyway....I said "No and I could do better". I knew I was a sinner. It's hard to eat "right" and run...because sweets help boost your energy. I'll see what I can do. Wouldn't you think my high 30 plus points over suggested base 45 LDL (mine is 74) could be deducted from the 153 LDL? That deduction would be cool and make my LDL 123 and within the suggested healthy range.

No sweets...can't have sweets. Doctors tell me cut down on fat. Well, when I was on the high protein diet with no sugar and lower weight probably around 124 pounds, my cholesterol was fine. I have always pretty exercised quit a bit.

In fact, I exercise like hell and it seems my body adjusts to my exercise and says "so what!" So! I'll give the "no sweets" thing a try. My belief is, according to the Atkins Diet, that it's the combination of sugar and fat that drives up cholesterol levels. A high protein (lean chicken and fish) and vegetables is fine). It's the sweets that are not good for me...so hungry I am and hungry I'll stay until I get my weight down. I hate being hungry!

Just when you think you are doing good! Oh and what did I have today? A twenty ounce peach smoothie - but it had protein in it! And the day before after visiting the doctor (new doctor for me...I really like her and her office staff) I had a 20 oz protein smoothie. I truly enjoyed them..good thing.

Today and the last two days, I believe that I walked about eight miles each. Sunday I ran nine miles. I'll see what I can do but it just may be the way my body does cholesterol and I am on Prempro - which I would like to stay on.

Good health never comes without a price....I have to work at it...but I'm willing to do the work. Hey, it's only food and the enjoyment only lasts a few moments while you are eating it...and then it takes months it seems, to lose the weight and to undo the damage it's done. There, that's good philosophy isn't it? Actually, now I am looking forward to doing the work. I guess I needed to hear this. My spirit guides are looking out for me I think and they gave me the idea to get a physical after not having one since 2005. I'm thinking in 2005 I was good. I weight under 124 then. Through my 15 year relationship break up I got down to 117, then 116, and when I hit 115..when I actually began to worry a bit...because I wasn't trying to lose weight; I just didn't have an appetite. I liked weighting 115.. I look and felt HOT! So', I'm rather excited. I think I'll do the work and in six months make another appointment.


Oh, for a second, I thought - oh no, I have vacation coming in February...I'll be eating too much..but then I remembered I'm going with my iron-woman competition friend and she doesn't eat. Actually, she eats worse than I do...too many sweets...but eats very little. What I would like to do on vacation is eat a substantial lunch and very, very light dinner.. or none at all.

Hey, wish me luck.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

GOOD LUCK!

High cholesterol runs in my family, so I really should get it checked.

I feel healthy but you never know! My oldest brother had a heart attack at age 63 last year, and he was in excellent physical shape otherwise (plays tennis and rides bikes constantly).

I guess it was the nightly ice cream. He's improved his dietary habits and is doing fine.

mzzim said...

Hi Cameron

It's nice to hear from you. Are you back on blogger? I'll try to find your blog.

Thanks for wishing me luck - you too - same back at ya! We have to take care of ourselves...I sure would hate to have to get on statins - ugh! Too many side effects and that scares me even more..