Saturday, December 29, 2007

Big Mistake!

Well, I never thought it before but I'm thinking it now...shutting down 40/64 is a huge mistake. Yeah, I live in St. Louis!

When situations begin to put the safety of my friends in jeopardy you bet you'll hear from. Well, MODOT had the brilliant idea to narrow existing lanes (cutting into the shoulder..where no one wants to drive) and re strip to add an additional lane in both directions of 44 and 70.

On 44 closer to downtown the lanes narrow and new stripping was added but the old stripping remains. NOT GOOD! People do not know where to drive and narrowly escaping creating accidents.

On January 2nd, 2008 highway 40 between 170 and 270 (Well, Ballas remains open but we should leave that for emergency vehicles to get to nearby hospitals) closes for one year! Yes one year! Big mistake!

Big mistake! I say leave the lanes as they are and keep the highway open, and work around replacing one over past at a time. They already did the Tamm over past without shutting down the highway. So, we know it can be done!

I believe they are worried about highway worker safety. Their concern is appreciated I'm sure; but, what about the 6,000 motorist per hour who use highway 40? What about deliveries? What about the nuts out there? I fear for the safety of all motorist!

I wasn't worried until three of my closest friends (three different stories and events) used 44 after the re-stripping (old stripping was left behind creating a very confusing and dangerous environment) and suddenly the lane they were in just ended. It was mass confusion! My one friend had the misfortune of driving on it, in the dark and in the rain...she said. "I couldn't get off of 44 fast enough!" I better not lose any friends over this..freak of a brainstorm. In my opinion they are just creating a condition where law suits will brew havoc in the court systems.

Big mistake! MODOT needs to get out there and cover up the old stripping. Even on 170 through out all the construction with the fly over near 40/64 the lane stripping is faded.. and you know people are careless and reckless and can't slow down for anything. Most would choose crashing over caution apparently!

Who ever heard major highways with no shoulders for emergency vehicles to drive on. Oh they suggest if you have a minor accident that both cars should drive to the nearest exit and park some where there and exchange information...like that's going to happen. What if there is a major accident on the highway and emergency vehicles cannot get to it? Well, with the losey restriping (and existing stripping) on 44..they're just asking for serious trouble to happen.

Big mistake...

No comments: