Friday, March 09, 2007

Maybe it's just me....

But my blog friend got me to thinking...

and that is ..when we were kids how did our families ever manage with one bathroom, one phone, one TV (I was the remote control),one car, no microwave and no credit cards? The average credit card balance today for many people is at least $8,000. Whew!

As a kid, I never got what I wanted unless I did my chores and saved my own money for it. I learned to put off gratification and many times just do without. And with doing that sometimes I would forget about that thing I thought I absolutely needed at the time. So, I guess I really could do without it.

And as a result, as an adult I find that I am more self-disciplined because I had to put off or do without. I have learned to work towards a goal, and things and not expect everything right now. Actually it's more fun that way and makes me feel proud that I have accomplished something after I worked to save up for something first before I buy it. And I think that is why I am a happy, content person. I have everything I want in my 900 something square foot condo and dependable vintage car. I like living simple and in my small space. Everything I need and want is close by too and I can walk when I go shopping; which has another advantage..I can't buy as much because I have to try to carry it all home. And I"m getting exercise. It's perfect!

My little condo is centrally located and right in the midst of it all and my friends are close by. I love where I live - in my small condo. It's the little things that make me happy....like a good book from the library, running, walking, swimming, golf at the cheap courses, sketching, singing and playing my guitar, yoga..

I can't begin to figure out or analyze the actions of others nor is it my right too. But I wonder, do people go into debt to impress others? Are they buying cars and clothes to impress their friends? Or do they just have to have "it" right now? And then they have to worry and be depressed about their bills or worse yet be in so deep they have to worry about losing their car or home. Just live simply and within your budget if at all possible. I heard "No, I can't afford it! Put it back!" many times when I was a kid and I lived through it!

When I get to spending over budget, and I do at times, I find that I have to reprogram my brain and change my attitude and then I think twice before making a probably silly and needless purchase. I can easily set my mind to it. I at least try to put it off until the next month which gives me time to reevaluate the want and worth of the item. See! Piece of cake!

Now see, don't you wish you had had the mean old parents who were always grabbing about money and saying "No!" like I did?

You can't be your kids best friend! But, that's another blog day....

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I really enjoyed reading this post!

You hit on some very important points and raised good questions.

By the way, I am meeting some interesting folks (mostly gay) through the blog network. Would it be all right if I post a link to your blog on mine? (There's a neat side-bar on WordPress blogs called "BlogRoll".) You'd probably get more readers. Please let me know.

mzzim said...

I love meeting people and reading other blogs..for sure post a link to my blog on yours. I'll look into WordPress too

Have a great day!

Anonymous said...

Thanks, mzzim. Check out some of the other links on my "BlogRoll", too.