Sunday, May 18, 2008

Slowing Down - My Way

I think I'll be riding more on my own or with slower riders who like to socialize. I didn't realize that I was on a time schedule other wise I would ride with more rather socialize than speedy riders.

There was a shot gun start, and I had no idea they wanted to do it in strictly three hours with ten minutes breaks. At the end the others seems slightly more relaxed. It was nice of them to
wait around for us.

I don't really ride to see how fast I can get it over with; I ride to enjoy and converse with other riders. I like to ride with one awhile and chat for awhile and then ride along side of another and chat for awhile.

Only reason why the ride beat me up some was when I was I riding hard to keep up the whole time. In the end I and another weren't that far behind. I don't mind a good work out because I think it builds strength and stamina. Still, I don't want people waiting for me.

I love my friends, don't get me wrong. But, I am finding that I probably too am becoming more independent and that my time and pace is as important to me as it is to someone else.

Last summer when M and I did the over nighter to wine country I tried hard to keep up with the speed demons. M was happy to ride with me, but then I don't really want to hold her up either. I do think those three were more used to riding together. Hell, they did 160 mile aross Indiana in one day last year. No thanks.

I have ridden many centuries but it is important to me to do them at my own pace; therefore alone. Since it appears I can't keep up I do centuries on my own. It's nice to be able to stop and go when I want and takes as many breaks as I like. So there you are!

No comments: