Monday, April 30, 2007

The Placebo effect?

I find this fascinating! A doctor or scientist says that there is no proven tests results to show that Glucosamine Chondroitin actually has any substance associated to it to ease joint aches and pains and lubricate and built cartilage. Well, he only referred to the elimination of pain. He said what happens is the placebo effect. That people who take it (myself included) actually believe that Glucosamine Chondroitin will ease their joint pains so it does! If only all of life was that easy to control.

Well, let's think about this. Whenever I hear someone mention the placebo effect they brush it off like so psychological mumbo. jumbo They glaze over and tread lightly the thoughts and principles behind the "placebo effect".

The scientist today made it sound like people were wasting their time taking this stuff although it caused no harm. In my own mind what I heard sounded like "The Secret" in action! The same thing happens to me when I take Glucosamine Chondroitin - the pain goes away. And I firmly believe that the cartilage in my knees and elsewhere are healthy and youthful. My veins clear, my skin youthful, my appearance youthful in everyway. I look and feel like a 35 year old (there, let's see how that turns out!)

Call it the placebo effect, I don't care. Call it wishful thinking. Better yet, call it creating your own reality - The Secret - in action.

Wish it, want it, dream it, then let it go and later on when you least expect it, when it's out of your mind...you'll realize that it is coming to pass!

Think about it. In retrospect have you ever wanted something and then it happened. Or you got something in a rather magical way. Like the pieces or timing was perfect. A day when you followed your instincts and then watched things unfold as you realized you had planned.

Okay, I'll share this little story with you. Last fall while driving to a running event alone I prayed the day be magical. I felt the power in my heart. The day was magically beautiful as it was; a crisp, brilliantly shinning fall day. The shy ever so blue and trees beginning to turn golden My heart was singing with unknown expectations. I knew the day would be magical for some reason...I felt it.

The events had it's mishaps which I demanded mentally who not stop me from crossing the finish line. And I did cross the finish line..so very grateful. Yes, the day was magical. But, then I dared to even ask for more. I wanted romance - now. It had been almost two years!

Oddly enough mixing in the crowd afterwards I noticed that people were extremely friendly with smiling faces and asking me questions about different techniques and power gels. And then she was there looking at me rather wantingly I would dare say. I had known her, or more so, of her for a few years now. We had both come alone..no distractions, so we could talk...how convenient (thanks to the universe). There was no one to over hear or add comments. Sometimes it's a good idea to go places and participate in events by yourself. I think you pay atention to other people more and be alone gives you an opportunity to meet new people. You make more of an effort I think.

Which reminds me for months before this event I knew, I felt that I just had to attend this one although no one else I knew was going. I had my mind set on participating. It was like I had to attend this event. So I did.

Anyway, she and I got to talking, in the course of the conversation, although not specifically pointed out to involve each other, we both spoke of wanting the same thing - I called it romance. Longer story cut short - we were together the next day! And it was magical!

Funny when things are meant to be for me and I am in the process of creating my reality I have, in retrospect, felt that that is when I am the most confident and "know what I'm doing". I felt that when I was with her. That it was meant to be! It's been months and we still see each other on a regular basis. It's still magical too!

Anyway, I guess I got side tracked from the subject of the "placebo effect". My point that I wanted to make is that why did the doctors or scientist or whoever was performing the tests, take the placebo effect so lightly. Making the man in the test with the good results look like a fool for taking supplements that were tested to be useless (but wouldn't harm him). Giving the impression that the placebo effect was just a subconscious, wishful thinking phenomenon that wouldn't last anyway. Like he was wasting his time. Anyway, I didn't like the fact that he discredited Glucosmaine Chondroitin. Like we were fools for believing in supplements. Maybe he was a pharmacuecial salesman.

Anyway, what I think is important about the whole thing is the placebo effect. You know too, a few years ago I had a mid life crisis I guess. Things in my life were all wrong. Some people get disease when their life is out of order...me not. In retrospect I think I didn't get disease because I am so into health. I mentally, psychologically, subconsiously pushed away disease. Instead, I fell hopelessly, smack in on the side of the head, in love. Yes, she was my catalyst to a life change. I know that is exactly what she was. She was an angel. The warmest most loving woman I have ever meant. I still think about her. And if thinking is praying her life so be wonderful. I still feel her in my heart. She saved my life.

What I'm saying here in probably a rather bad way, is that we have some control. In fact, I think, we have a lot of control on how our life can unfold. I had to move away from my family who were draining the very life out of me. I had to end a long term relationship. I had to find a different path. The time we were meant to be together had come to an end.

It's been over two years and I am still estranged from family. Thank you, universe! Free at last! However, I have a very good relationship now with my ex. She is very important to me. We were always good friends. Anyway, she has a girlfriend for over a year now and is doing good. And I like her girlfriend.

So, I think things worked out wonderfully. From time to time I still miss the good doctor. I miss how she cared for me. She felt bad because she couldn't fix me. She and I both knew what was happening to me that day..I was having an emotional crisis. It all worked out! It was truly a magical moment. She changed my life which had to be changed. I know now that I choose love over disease as a way to move on with my life.

So speaking of disease or the lack of, I wish to thank the universe for all of my life lessons, for my good health, the loves in my life, my pain free existence. Life being accident and injury free. Prosperous in so many ways. In just economically draught times, I thank the universe for being one who loves to live simply. Thank you for my "good" old car. Thank you for nothing..breaking down. In advance thank you for my A/C inspection being "cheap" which I know it will be because I'm planning it to be. Spiritually, I have an abundance of wealth. There is nothing I need or want materially. I'm very fortunate (thank you) to be so very frugal. But most of all I'm very fortunate to know "The Secret".


No comments: