Tuesday, April 17, 2007

To ride a 100 miles on my bicycle was....

easy enough! Really! I must be fit! I did it in under 8 hours of riding time (doesn't count my break stops are the whole time I was out there which was close to nine hours).

I had a great time! I rode around a lake that is located about six miles from my home. Things were going so well and before I knew it I had over fifty miles on my odometer. There was no wind today or humidity so the day was sunny, 70 and perfect! As I was riding I was contemplating riding a century (100 miles) in a few days maybe on Sunday..

On Sunday, I thought I would ride about fifty miles out, away from home and then back again. I thought about the rocky trail, the poor condition paths, riding along the highways on the shoulders and more poor condition bike paths and then it occurred to me why not do it now today, now in the park!

For the food and drink I needed I had noticed that the lake house restaurant was open. In the park the paths are perfect and there was enough hill climbing to strengthen my legs. Even though I got to the park around 10:00 AM I knew I had ample daylight time left to complete 100 miles by circling the park about four or five times. So I set out to do it! I had my mind set and a plan in action!

I would highly recommend doing it this way if you wish to ride 100 miles because this way you are always near your car, food, and drink. And if the weather gets bad or you get tired you can always change your mind and get back to your car without too much trouble.

Even if I would have had a flat tire or any kind of bicycle problem I was never really any further away probably then four or fives miles from my car. I can walk that distance easy enough in about an hour or less.

So, if you ride bicycle and wish to challenge yourself by riding 50, 75, or 100 or more miles depending on your level of strength and desire, do it the way I did by riding around a large park where you can do a nice twenty miles loop around.

My diet? Now that is another thing. I eat junk! I certainly do not lose weight on a very long ride because I eat - a lot! I had at least two donuts, four Nature's peanut honey oat bars, and drank at least four 16 oz bottles of Dole orange juice with potassium and other good things. I made all of my purchases at the restaurant in the park. But, if I was planning ahead on riding a century I could have fixed up a cooler. Actually, I prefer spontaneity.

I had lots of energy! I guess so! Well, I contribute the energy I had today on the 10 oz hamburger (and fries [bad!]) I had last evening after walking nine holes of golf! Oh, and the Mich Ultra was wonderfully cold and so good! For some reason it was very good! Guess I haven't had a beer for while!

So, this evening although I didn't eat all the bun I did get another hamburger. I got a quarter pounder. I left a few fries behind too! I'm a sinner and I know it! But, I woke up with energy this morning and was ready to go! So, sometimes I think good old protein and fat is good for you. For sure, once in a while isn't going to hurt anything.

I was raised on farm and we ate farm fed beef and lots of vegetables (although some were "canned") and fruits. I did eat good as a kid! I wasn't fat. Even though there were no "girl sports" (I'm talking pre 1976 -Title Nine. Thank you Mr. Nixon) I walked a lot and rode my bicycle even back then. I rode my biccle down old country field roads and paved county roads.

I had an old heavy fender-ed, single gear, coaster brakes, wide tired, bicycle. The chain guard rattled when I hit a bump. The somewhat blue, with faded white stripe, and outlined in rust finders were heavy and rattled a bit too! I had a little basket in front of my handlebars. I loved riding that old clunker over the hills surrounded by beautiful corn and bean fields. Wonderfully kept-up farms settings. It seems the air was crisp and clear and the sky has blue as can be. I felt so spiritual to almost tears...and I was only a kid at the time. Riding my bicycle through on those winding country roads with little or no traffic, surrounded by farms places, cows and horses, farmers on tractors in fields. And oh the wonderful fresh smell of the newly turned soil as the farmer plowed his fields. I remember too the wonderful fresh smell of spring and the sound of the tree frogs down around the pond. The smell when it began to rain on pavement of the streets in the small town where I lived three miles from on a farm.

Winters were very lonely but Spring....I came alive along with the birds, flowers, trees and fields. My heart survived to love another day...in another way.. unlike any other person I knew. Being gay can be very lonely when you are the only one......in the world.. My bicycle and those rides..even though I rode in solitude...sustained me.

I rode alone today...sometimes I actually prefer it that way especially on a very long ride.

I still can't believe I rode 100 miles today! It was nothing! Damn I must be in good shape! I think it has been over a year since I rode my last century. Will grant it, I run four miles, swim for 40 minutes and then run back home again. I do yoga, work out with weights (weight machines). I just walked two hours last night playing nine holes of golf. I guess I am in pretty good shape. I need to knock off the sweets though.. My friends who does very extreme triathlons is thin and muscler and very shapely. If I don't watch it I'm not going to be too shapely soon! I want a flat tummy too! She must never eat..where does she get her energy from? She is so driven!

Riding a hundred miles in one day...nothing to it! Knocking off ten pounds.....almost impossible! But after I do .. the look... priceless!

No comments: