Friday, January 26, 2007

Out of Reach..

The price of even a starter home is becoming out of reach for many first time buyers. I know thirty years back when I wanted to buy I couldn't has a hairdresser or banker. But, when I got the big telephone communications job things were many different. I worked as a clerk for several years than got a lucky break with affirmative action and eventually got a craft "man's" job. The men hated women and minorities coming into their honored domain. But, with that job I soon could afford a down payment on a modestly prices condominium.

But, today even with extremely creative financing that can later bite you back, first time buyers are struggling and it makes me wonder who can afford these enormous size houses we see springing up all over city and county area.

Recently I visited a friend who loves in south city and was reminded of how small houses were standard build up until the 1930's and even 1960's But 30, 40, and 50's built houses were extremely small. There was just room enough to walk sideways almost in a bathroom. Living room and bedroom have hard room floors but small with just room enough for a standard double bed.

And today, houses are extreme with ten feet are higher ceilings. Frankly I don't see the point. They are harder to paint and heat rises so then you need a ceiling fan to push it back down again.

I am very fortunate that I had a decent job with benefits. The way our government conducts itself with no ordinary citizen representation is despicable.

No comments: