Tuesday, March 28, 2006

GM Joins Brazil in Flexing..

Well, I never thought I'd see the day! Although the USA was not innovative on this one, Brazil was first; at least we are getting on the bandwagon.

Funny, I haven't seen any commericals on this new product yet. But, heres the scoop: GM is producing flexfuel vehicles...yellow means go. Actually, I'm wondering if any vehicle could be converted?

In earlier blogs I mentioned that Brazil doesn't waste one spect of fiber of a sugar cane plant and what is not used for sugar is turned into fuel called ethanol. Brazil's vehicles are computerized and can easily switch from total ethanol to all fuel made from petroleum or a combination of the two.

I was so pleased as I was paging through the special issue of TIME headlined "Special Report Global Warming: Be worried. Be very worried. It was in this issue that I saw the advertisement that GM is making Flexfuel vehicles using ethanol made from our most renewable resort: corn.

Amazing isn't it? We could have been doing this since the 70's do you think? Gee, do you think conservatism, large corporations...maybe the middle east had anything to do with our decisions and choices to WAIT and thus deny the fast arising negative global consequences of our evil ways?

We need to break away from our middle east dependency and we need to find an environmentally clean way to do it. I think we have finally got on the bandwagon.

I don't know why the Bush adminstration never joined the many other countries in helping to form the Kyoto program several years back. Now grant it, I don't know all the details. But, probably, it wasn't political advantagous or profitable at the time. Personally, I think in a public relations point of view, it didn't sit well with a lot of people. Why would you not want to do everything possible to save the planet on which you live. If you didn't like the Kyoto program, will then join it and try to make some changes for the better; if you think your ideas are better then what is already in place. But, at least look interested in saving your planet. It's a sad day when turning a corporation profit takes a higher priority over saving the environment.

Note: According to TIME, the Bush administration rejected Kyoto partly becuase developing countries, such as China and India, were exempt form emissions cuts

No comments: