Wednesday, March 22, 2006

I planned my run.

Before the half marathon on March 19th I meditated and visualized my run, the way I would feel, and how my muscles and clothes would feel.

It turned out perfectly. I would not have changed a thing. I was psyched!

My stomach felt great after a good dinner and ample sleep the night before. I had one Accel Gel pack before I left home to drive ten minutes to the start of the half marathon. I quickly joined friends, I knew they would be waiting in line at the porta potties. They were there - perfect. I was calm! Not surprisingly; I planned to be calm. I wanted this run to be ideal, because I am registered to run another half marathon April 9th. Now, I can hardly wait for it.

As I began my run, I took my time, actually you have to until the runners string out. I felt good! I felt the wind in my face - perfect and just the way I wanted it. I wanted the wind in my face for the first half and then have it pushing up the hills on the last half. It was perfect!

close to the park, the half way point, I had another Accel Gel. I am feeling good and the caffiene is kicking in, I know, becuase a women's constant heavy breathing over my right shoulder is getting on my nerves..and so is this little guy's foot slapping on the pavement thing that he is doing! I tell myself not to let it bother me. In the park I try to pass these people, but since we are all running about the same pace..it's impossible over a long distance to do it.

I finally let it go. I pray! It works. I don't know where these people are and I don't care. I don't speak to any one when spoken to, I can't. My breathing is timed and programed and I won't mess it up for anyone. I nod and give a thumbs up only. At the tenth mile..suddenly I can't believe there is only three more to go. I think about then I had my last Accel Gel pack because I wanted my finish to be strong and I didn't want to feel weak then either. I needed the potassium after the hills and I knew it.

I ran 13.1 miles in 2 hours and 12 minutes. It was magical. Two fellow group members who usually run faster than I do were behind me. Lauren and John. John had leg cramps. Tracey was part of the three spot cheering section (they kept moving to different locales in the park so we would past them three times) said John looked beat the third time she saw him. She said I look good and constant and strong.

Usually, I worry about having to pee...I planned that too. I didn't think about it and when I did think about it after drinking a little water, I had a slight urge, but knew it was mental.. I pushed on and soon forgot about it. Actually, I never go until well after breakfast when I finally got home.

I find I have learned even more discipline with breathing while doing yoga classes. With swimming too, I'm getting more lean! I am 58 and the best I have ever been. I even got a compliment last evening in my longer hair. Life is magical. Dream it, think it, want it, and you got it. Now, of course, that doesn't work as well on a love interest. Well, it did last summer and it lasted about as long as I thought it was going to last...because expected it to end. But, now I miss her terribly and want her back...Hmm?

I am magical.. I'm older than all of them and I am magical. Anyone can plan their day; just watch: "What the Bleep Do we Know" and see.

I was flying high for two days... I still am. What an enforphin rush! I am having a blast! I am magical!

Oops, going to be late for yoga..got to go!

No comments: