Wednesday, September 06, 2006

I'm A Little Ashamed..

I was walking this morning with a friend around the lake and a young woman came walking towards us. She was young, with dark hair pulled back and very attractive. She walked fine. I'm ashamed because I didn't meet her eyes. I didn't smile. Maybe I smiled a little but when I saw her leg I think I casted my eyes down. I didn't want to stare.

But what about her..maybe she needed a smile. So I silently prayed to myself for her. My heart went out to her. She's a real trooper in shorts which probably worked easier with her leg.

I met her twice on the path this morning. I had no excuse. I prayed for a third meeting so I could make up for my ignorance and seemingly I'm sure insensitive heart. I didn't get a third chance...maybe another morning I pray.

Her left leg is twice as big, but perfectly proportioned up and down and there are what appears to be vein groups that rise above the skin some in places.

In spite of her obvious challenges she walks very well and looks straight ahead.

There is another young woman who lives in my neighborhood she looks sweet and has dark hair too. She walks faithfully and she has a unuseable right hand and slight limp to her right leg. I don't know if its a result of a birth defect, stroke, or accident. I past her and say "hi" but she looks straight ahead always listening to her DVD player that she holds in her good hand. I silently pray for her and hope she is loved and loves herself. I hope she is happy. I would love to be her friend and be there for her. She touches my heart.

I saw yet another young woman the other day in my neighborhood. She is an amputee. Her right hand gone. She blond hair bright and her eyes smiled at me. I smiled back. She warmed my heart.

I wish I could hold and love them all. I admire them so, for their courage. I know life can't be easy for them. I want to love them, hold them and be there for them. I pray they are loved and love themselves. I pray that their days are happy and pain free.

I thank god for all of my blessings of good health and safety. I'm out there all the time on the streets on my bicycle. I pray most of the time that I am out there for my safety and for others who are no so fortunate.

I wish I could love them and be there for them. I just have a special place in my heart for young people.

I hope I improve my social skills and say "hi" to her next time. I guest I concentrate on now staring at her leg. But maybe she needs a "hi" and a smile. I wish I could love her and be there for her to hug her when she needs it.

Universe, please help me be a better person. I'm sorry that I'm not a better person for them. I could be a good friend.

No comments: