Thursday, July 06, 2006

What a pleasant day...I ran my butt off

I'm pooped! I ran over ten miles from here to the park, around the park and back. I stopped and gave a woman directions. It was plain she was from Russia are some place. She was very nice and very apologetic for making me stop during my run. She understood because she was a runner herself. She apologized more than once. I believed her, she was sorry.

After I ran around the park and was heading back home I came upon a very young man in a wheelchair without legs. He was with this dog. He was trying to get up the little step-up into a clearer's shop. I asked if I could hold the door open for him. He readily agreed. He backed his chair up and tried to make a run of it. The step up was about three inches. On the second try when he didn't get much farther then the first, I reach around and push on the back on his chair and got it up where he needed to be. I picked up and handed him his fanny pack. I unhooked the dog's leach when it was caught on the door sill between the edge of the door. The little collie mix turned around and thanked me with his eyes. Ironically, he had the same blond hair coloring as his young master with the same big curls too. He thanked me and I said have a nice day. I continued my run as I prayed for him on the rest of my two miles run back home.

I wondered if he was in Iraq; probably, he was! I wondered how his heart felt watching me run up to him. I felt grateful for my legs and sorry for his lose; although I'm sure he wouldn't appreciate my sorrow.

I hurt for him, being at such a young age and in a wheelchair. But seeing how young he was and how determined he was to get up over the sill, I'm sure he can overcome this and future minor obstacles that will enter his pathway.

I was glad he had a dog. My guess who be that he rescued that dog. Or did the dog rescue him? God bless them both! I don't think I will forget either of them soon.

No comments: