Sunday, July 02, 2006

You should have a dealer change your oil?

Why not have the dealer change your car's oil?

So many people I know, well educated people by the way, buy a new car and instead of taking the car back to the dealer for their oil changes they would rather go to an Jiffy Lube or Valvoline quick oil change drive - through. But why, I ask?

The kids that work at these quickie oil change places are just that KIDS probably barely making MINIMUM wage and are NOT mechanics. So, they would never recognize a serious problem is one was developing. I believe as a customer you are lucky if they screw the cap back on correctly. What do they care, they are young kids!

A new car is under warranty by your dealer if you have your oil changed at some quickie lube drive-through and you develop and engine problem and have no records of oil changes, you do not have a leg to stand on. Why should the dealer or the auto manufacturer honor your warranty? How do they know you changed your oil regularly, or even used the proper oil?

Why don't well educated people realize this? And quick-lubes are not any cheaper nor or they any faster then the dealers.

The mechanic in the garage at the dealer's has many hours of training, he is probably union and makes good union wages. He knows how YOUR BRAND OF CAR WORKS. He knows the ins and outs of this well designed computer driven machine. He get updates from the manufacturer and can take care of updates while you are there for your oil change.

The dealer also does a 21 point or more, check on your car. He'll suggest having your brakes adjusted so they wear longer. He can head off potential serious problem that could possibly appear. He knows your car and he knows what to look for! Now doesn't this make sense?

A friend of mine told me changing the oil is not rocket science; but she missed my point. Actually, I agreed and let it go at that. We all make our choices; I merely spoke the words to light the bulb, which apparently had a short and didn't come on.

I just came here to vent like I usually do.

Doesn't it make sense to take your car to a trained mechanic specialized in your particular type of car? Hey, it's not rocket science to come up with that reasoning.

If your car is under dealer warranty, I would strongly suggest you have the dealer change the oil so he can do that plus look for other potential problems and perform maintenance.

And this reasoning to me is not rocket science but good common sense and very good advice.

I have known so many people who do not adhere to his reasoning. Why not? Most dealers charge the same and are just as fast! I know I go to the dealer. My ex goes to the dealer by my suggestion. She can recognize good common sense when she hears it. Bravo to her! Bravo to me!

Okay, I think that I am finished being amazed by my educated friends for one day!

My car is a 1998 Rav4 and by the way, it's as sound and runs as good with 96,000 miles as it did driving it out of the showroom! My hats off to Toyota!

So, obviously my warranty is way expired but I still take it to the dealer for oil and filter changes so the mechanic can do the 21 point check on it. I am well pleased and it takes no longer and cost the same as the quickie tube joints. I will always take my car to the dealer for service.

Also, when it comes time to buy another car, I will keep in mind the wonderful fair service that I have received from this particular dealer and will go back again and buy another Toyota. See what happens when you built quality products and are fair to customers?

Here's another thing! The minimum wage young workers in these quickie oil change stalls work on commission. It has been noticed that they write up a lot of work orders and do not always perform the scheduled task. In other words the tasks are recorded and charged but not actually done.

How do you know that you are indeed getting the high grade of oil that you have requested. How do you know if your oil got changed at all; or the filter? The oil that is used could be coming from a huge oil drum and everyone gets the same type of oil, no matter waht they request. How do you know that it is good quality oil? How about the oil filter? Was it changed or just wiped clean?

What happens if the young attendance leaves a shop towel on your engine and when you start the engine it gets caught and ruins it. Who pays? Do you have recourse? Wouldn't a large dealership affiliated with well known auto manufacturer be more reliable to stand behind their work? These are things that you have to think about! Doesn't it make sense to go to a reliable dealership that KNOWS your car and have them do it?

Hey it's common sense people and rocket science!

No comments: