Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Monster Houses

This morning as I ran through a nearby neighborhood I marveled at how construction teams can buy up old small houses and turn around and build huge long, wide and three story houses on the same small lot. They are so big next to the old "average size two story of years pass" that they almost look monstrously silly. And then I wondered who will buy these huge houses?

Well, immediately upon the building of a neighboring huge house, the smaller (what I think to be average) size home value skyrockets right along with the new 600,000 plus for the extra large house (to match that gigantic SUV, I guess?)

Are families getting larger that they need these extremely large houses, I wondered! I remember when a small home housed "both" parents and six kids and they did fine with one bathroom and kids sharing bedrooms! So, excuse me if I don't get it? Why do families need such big houses?

And what kind of annual salaries are required for these huge house ownerships. The monthly payments must surely be extraterrestrial.

Not one small house is being replaced by another small or even slightly larger house. No, just these huge things. Personally, I wouldn't be crazy about four flights of steps (I'm counting the basement too).

My condo which I bought last year costs a quarter the amount of these houses and the size is perfect for me (and a lover). It's almost a thousand square feet. I just pretend that I live in New York City not the Midwest when I enjoy the convenience of fifteen minutes of cleaning and walking a few steps from room to room. I love my little condo and most importantly having my own space. Of course maybe that is why monstrous houses are so popular, so everyone has enough of their own space. Who knows? Or are they trophy houses? An investment?

Just how long are people at home anyway? Maybe a couple of houses in the evening before going to bed; a few hours on the weekend. If anyone is like me, my home is mainly to sleep and shower and dress for the next active social event. Or work, god forbid!

Are houses and vehicles trophies? Are they something to show mom and dad and the world just how successful and important you really are? Frankly, I don't see the purpose.

Actually, if I could afford to spend 300,000, I would purchase a cool loft or condo. I'm not a house person. Well, I was for about five years between 1995 and 2000 when my partner and I decided to buy a log home settled on a 1.5 acre wooded lot. I must say, it was a fun house. We had a lot of parties. We spent a lot of money on parties and fixing things up. I sealed the drive way annually, she sch inked the cracks (checks, they are called) in the logs. Yes, the house was expensive to maintain and that is why after five years we decided to move back into my condo I was renting out at the time. A good move! The property tax at the log home was extremely high and getting higher every year.

Can you imagine the electric bills, insurance and property tax amounts on these gigantic three plus story houses? Gee, I didn't realize that there were that many doctors and lawyers and such to fill up all these houses. Just what type of careers do these people have who purchase these huge homes; and how many children? They must be near the top rung of the corporate ladder I would have to guess.

Anyway, the best of luck to all of them. Oh yes, there are many foreclosures but hopefully, jobs are not getting outscourced or off-shored; but, I fear they still are. It seems career jobs for one company are a thing of the past.

The price of gas - who cares. Hopefully, we'll all be driving soon on Ethanol like those drivers in Brazil (by 2007 they will be 100% petroleum free). Gee Mr Bush do you think you could ever break your love ties with the middle east? It was your daddy who got us in to all of this wasn't it? Just what kind of oil deal did he make with the Saudi's anyway that was enough to knock down towers over? How backward and barbaric was that? And you call yourself christians (actually, some of the biggest murderers around).

Actually, I'm fearful of having Bush in office for two more years; he's beginning to get over confident and even cocky now. Yeah, being president is no longer fearful but going to his head now! Now he could really get dangerous. Vetoing stem cell research? What an idiot! I think the man just listens to the pope and he and his men (a secret gay society? Hey, nothing but males are allowed - makes me wonder!) are living in the dark ages, very controlling and dumber than a box of rocks. Well, they do wear the tiny cute little designer slippers and long gowns and little hats. And they love to decorate and throw dinner parties. Hello!

Okay! I"m done already! Just had to vent a little before I hit a few golf balls then work out at the gym.





No comments: