Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Mushroom in my yard

Well, it's gone, suddenly!

This has been the most active mushroom I have ever seen. In a little patch of green near the street first one shot up then another. I walk my dog four times a day and then I was in and out during the day and each time I passed it, the mushroom had grown taller and larger.

I wish now I would have sat nearby on the bench and "watched it grow". That would have been so cool to actually see it change and grow bigger right before my eyes.

The mushroom grew so fast within a couple of days I was amazed each time I passed. By this evening when I got home from running it was a stunning five inches high with a diameter top of about three and half inches.

I was so admiring it and watching it's speedy growth. A little later, I wondered what that woman was doing over there. It's not trash day yet. It didn't take long to discover just what that woman was up to.

Well, later when I walked my dog again, I understood what she must have been doing over there. She cut the two mushrooms and took them home. Actually, she probably just had to pick them up. The tops got so heavy that they both have fallen over and where resting on their side.

So now I wonder. I know she and her husband do a lot of canoeing and camping so I hope she is familiar with the great outdoor and knows every kind of mushroom there is; because, it not you can be in big trouble. Deadly trouble!

As a kid I heard a frightening story of a family who were poor and hungry so the father walked into the nearby woods and picked some mushrooms for dinner. Evidently, he ate most of what he picked, then the mother, then the children had some too. Anyway, if I remember correctly he died. Neighbors said they heard them screaming from the pain. It must have been a horrible death.

Personally, I don't know one mushroom from the other in the wild; so I assume they all are poisonous. I only get my mushrooms from the supermarket and hope they know what they are purchasing.

So, that is my story of the disappearing magical mushrooms that in all probability most likely grew out of dog shit someone didn't pick up!

I hope those people's stomach are okay today...

No comments: